Friday, May 30, 2008

Life Lessons

As some of you may know, when we moved to NM,
we started an allowance system with Ian. He would
get to keep half of what he earned, 1/4 would go into
savings and the other 1/4 would go into a charity fund.
As we were packing clothes and toys to take to a local
charity (St. Felix pantry), Ian was asking why I was
doing this. After our conversation, he decided he wanted
to spend his charity money on some food for the pantry.
(of courseJenna wanted to give some food too) So, we
all went to Albertson's to buy their food.

Yesterday, I took them to St. Felix to turn in their donations.
As we were unpacking the clothes and toys from the car, I
mentioned to the gentleman helping me that the kids had
food for the pantry. He disappeared for a moment and came
back to tell me that Sister Genevieve, the founder, would
to take the food from the kids. As we walked into the kitchen,
all of the volunteers greeted the kids with smiles and hellos.
Sister Genevieve took the food, hugged the kids and chatted
with them for a few minutes...making sure they understood
that their food would be dinner for a family that couldn't afford
to buy groceries. One of the other Sisters offered to take our picture
with her. Once we got back into the car, Ian was very quiet. I
asked what he was thinking about and he said, "that felt really good, Mom".
It was a neat moment. On the flip side, as I buckled Jenna in, she said,
"they didn't even give us lollipops".

Here is a little information on St. Felix (from the Rio Rancho Observer).
St. Felix Pantry serves about 500 to 550 low-income families per week
throughout the year, passing on donated food donated by merchants,
vendors and individuals. It also offers clothing and educational help.
Clients are asked to donate only $3 per visit if they can afford it.



Ian and Jenna were taking in the groceries they
had picked out for the pantry. Ian bought two 8 packs
of Juicy Juice boxes, 2 jars of spaghetti sauce,
4 boxes of macaroni and cheese and a can of fruit
cocktail. Jenna picked out Wheat Thins, french style
green beans, 4 boxes of macaroni and cheese and
a bag of spaghetti noodles.


Here we are with Sister Genevieve. (the founder
of the St. Felix pantry)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ian and Jenna, we are so very proud of you. Thhis was a very good decision. Grandpa and Grandma

Angie said...

It doesn't get any sweeter than that. I cannot wait until Isaac is a little older to follow in your footsteps, Christy.

p.s. I can totally tell you have been working out. You are looking great!

Anonymous said...

Ian and Jenna... Wow, we are really proud of you. Many kids would like to spend there money to get toys for themselves. You two decided to give hungry families a great meal instead. I'm sure God is smiling and very proud of you both for your very generous decision:) Aunt Jennifer